Tuesday, June 30, 2009

SUPERMAN: RED SON DELUXE EDITION



Here's a project that I worked on. There's going to be a Deluxe Hardcover version of Superman: Red Son that will be released on November of 2009 as pictured above. It'll be the first time this book sees print in hardcover. Deluxe edition, no less. So there's still time before it's released. You can red more about this hardcover here.

The trade paperback has been in stores for quite some time. Below is the cover to the trade paperback. I never thought this would be in Hardcover especially since it's already been out in Trade. For the most part, graphic novels are first released in Hardcover format before it's released in a Trade. Nice surprise.




Red Son seem to so well for DC Comics. When DC Comics was venturing into graphic novels being downloadable through iTunes, The first three Graphic Novels that was decided to be used were Watchman, Batman: Black and White, and Superman:Red Son. For a book that came out a while back, it still has a lot of mileage. Before the trade, iTunes, and the upcoming Hardcover, it was originally released as a three issue prestige mini series in April of 2003. Below are the covers to the three issues in the order they were released.




I didn't work on the first issue. I jumped on board with issue 2 and 3. I still remember being asked to work on the project. Before it fell on my lap, it was in the works for five years. It went through a few Editors before it landed on the Editor who offed me to ink the last two issues. It was a project that got shelved, then put back up, then shelved again and so on. So people who were involved, were dreading the project. When I started work on it, I was the only one excited for it. They all thought I was crazy. For me, it was all fresh. I didn't go through those five years. On top of that, I got to ink Dave Johnson before he left the book and Killian Plunkett who later took it over. I also got to work on a book that Mark Millar wrote. Not only that, the Editor I was working with was Tom Palmer, Jr., Son of Tom Palmer who's one of the legendary inkers out there. What's not to be excited about? I'm looking forward to seeing what this Deluxe versions brings. Maybe additional bonus materials? Looks like we'll have to wait about five months to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment