Tuesday, June 29, 2010


Hardcovers!  I've inked 44 pages over Mike Bowden's pencils.  This was an exciting project to work on not only because it was a WOW (World Of Warcraft) book, but also my first time working with Wildstorm.
Below are some nice inked pages for your viewing pleasure.

This one, I went all out and crosshatched the shadows in the background.  Mike Bowden indicated blacks, but I figure... what's the harm in cross hatching it?  If it doesn't look good, I can always black it out later.  Turns out, everyone dug it!
This one's a double page spread.  Every time I work on a double page spread, it feels like it takes a long time to finish.  Then I sit back and realize, it should be a long time.  It's inking two pages!  Still,  If feels like a long time because to me, it's one page.  Given it's two pages attached together, But still one giant page.  Often times, I would need to fold the page back on the attachment and ink in like regular size.  Double page spreads are huge!  One time, I've inked a commission piece that was four pages big!  22x34 is size!  HUGE!  Anyhoo, that's another story for another time.  Back to WOW...
Another pretty splash page...    
And another...
Finally, not quite a splash page.  This is a patch page for another page.  What's a patch page?  Sometimes after artwork is finished, there may be editorial or licensing adjustment requests.  When that happens, new artwork would be drawn on another page which will then be moved over to the original image.  
You're probably thinking, "Why not just erase the drawing and redraw it on the same page?"  In this case, the original page (see below) was sent to me for inking before hand.  During editorial or licensing, I was asked not ink panel two and wait for a patch page.  I'll ink the rest of it, wait for the page above and ink that.  When I'm finished, I would then send all that to the colorist (or production) and they'll piece it together for the printed book.  Kinda neat how patch pages work, eh?
World of Warcraft Book 3 is in stores now.  More information here.

Monday, June 28, 2010


Batgirl #11 is out in stores!  My inks over Lee Garbett's pencils.  This was the first time I've worked with Lee and I must say he's a blast to work with.  A very talented and creative individual.  You should check out his blog.  Lots of fun stuff.  www.leegarbett.blogspot.com
From the get go, we hit it off and started to create a inking style for the overall art.  There were two art teams for this issue.  I inked Lee Garbett's part of the book which was the first fourteen pages.
With the pages I inked, you can almost see the inking style morph (you'll have to pick up the book to see the rest of the pages).  For example, in the earlier pages, I used straight edges for all backgrounds and inked the characters in a bold, almost flat outline.  Using both brush and pen.
Towards the end, I put away all the straight edges and free handed all the backgrounds.  The figures, I opted out the thick bold outlines and give them more of a line width bounce all around.   Almost brush work exclusively with minor pen.

Here's the page colored by Guy Major.

 Here's the last page of the issue.  A beautiful splash page of Batgirl and Man Bat.
And the completed colors for it.
Batgirl #11 is in stores now.  For more info, click here.

Friday, June 25, 2010


Cloak and Dagger one shot!  Thirty two pages I've inked over Mark Brooks pencils in blue line. This was released a while ago.  I got this issue in my pre-orders from the place where I buy my comics.
Interior pages.  Since I inked thirty two pages in this issue, I'm posting more images this time.  Here's a nice splash page with Dagger...
Here's Dagger and Cloak...
Dagger and Cloak, Cloak and Dagger...
Cyclops chatting it up...
Storm, Namor, Northstar, Angle, and Pixie...
Buildings and Cloak changing into something more confortable...
In stores now.

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Longshot. Unpublished work.

Unpublished LONGSHOT work for Marvel from a long time ago. My inks over Pete Woods' pencils during our Deadpool days at Marvel. It was supposed to be for a one shot stand alone issue. We worked on a bunch of pages. Before the project was completed, it got scrapped.

Below is what was supposed to be the cover for the one shot.
Kingpin's origin on one page.
And one of my favorite pages with all the details.